In this section
The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is developing new protected areas legislation to be used in the establishment of permanent protected areas in the Northwest Territories (NWT).
NWT residents are invited to read the plain language summary of the key concepts contained within the proposed protected areas legislation and submit comments to:
- Kelly Stein, Conservation Areas Management Planner, Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- (867) 767-9233 extension 53073
The deadline to provide feedback is October 26, 2018.
The public will be invited to comment once again on the draft legislation through a review process carried out by Standing Committee at a future date.
The new legislation will incorporate feedback brought forward by Indigenous governments and organizations, stakeholders and the public. Comments received though this engagement period will be taken into consideration during the ongoing drafting of the proposed legislation.
- Protected Areas Legislation
- Legislative Initiatives Backgrounder
- Healthy Land, Healthy People: GNWT Priorities for Advancement of Conservation Network Planning 2016-2021
Results from the public engagement will be summarized in a What We Heard report and made public once the engagement deadline has passed and comments have been processed. Check back here following the engagement period.
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
(867) 767-9233 ext. 53073