Get a Fishing Licence

You need a fishing licence if you are:

  • between 16 and 65 years of age.

You do not need a fishing licence if you are:

  • a Northwest Territories (NWT) and Canadian resident under the age of 16 or 65 years of age and over unless fishing in an area requiring an additional validation.
  • a non-resident angler under the age of 16 accompanied by a person holding a valid sport fishing licence or unless you are fishing in an area requiring an additional validation.

Where can I buy one?

You can buy your Sport Fishing Licences at:

What you need to provide

  • first and last name
  • date of birth
  • mailing and residential address including postal code
  • email address
  • method of payment (Visa, Visa Debit or MasterCard)

How much does it cost?

Fishing licence fees are different, depending on whether you live in the NWT, Canada or elsewhere.

Residency descriptions 

NWT Resident

A resident Canadian who has resided continuously in the NWT for a period of (a) in respect of sport fishing, three months immediately preceding the day on which the person begins to fish. 

Resident Canadian

A person who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.


A person other than a resident Canadian. 













Class Description Residency Eligibility Fee Valid for
F1 Northwest Territories Resident  NWT Resident Must have a valid NWT address.   $10.00  Season 
F2 Resident Canadian Canadian resident Must have a valid Canadian address. $20.00 Season
F3 Non-resident Non-resident Anyone who does not have a valid NWT or Canadian address. $40.00 Season
F4 NWT resident and resident Canadian over 65 years of age NWT resident OR Canadian resident Must have a valid NWT address OR Canadian Address Must be 65 Years of Age or older. Free Season
F5 NWT Resident and Resident Canadian person under 16 years of Age (Special Management Area) NWT resident OR Canadian resident Must have a valid NWT address OR Canadian Address Must be 16 Years of Age or younger. Free Season
F6 3-day Resident Canadian NWT resident OR Canadian resident Must have a valid Canadian address. $15.00 3 days
F7 3 day Non-Resident Non-resident Anyone who does not have a valid Canadian address. $30.00 3 day





































NWT Sport Fishing Regulations Guide

Information on fish species, daily catch and possession limits, general regulations and additional validation and special management areas in the NWT are listed in the NWT Sport Fishing Regulations Guide. 

Copies are available online, from your local or regional Environment and Natural Resources office as well as Service TNO and other locations that sell fishing licences.

Keep the guide in your tackle box for a quick reference while fishing in the NWT.

Daily catch and possession limits

You will find in the guide, the chart of daily catch and possession limits by type of fish. Print it and bring it with you.

Important tips

Remember these important tips when fishing:

  • Have your fishing licence with you at all times.
  • Use barbless hooks; they are mandatory for sport fishing in the NWT.
  • Stay within daily catch and possession limit.
  • Stay safe by practicing safe boating, making sure all campfires are completely out before leaving them and being bear aware.

Arsenic in the environment around Yellowknife

Arsenic is found at naturally low levels in the water of many NWT rivers and lakes. However, past gold mining activities have resulted in additional quantities of arsenic being released in the immediate environment surrounding the City of Yellowknife.

The Department of Health and Social Services has released a precautionary public health advisoy for arsenic in lakes around Yellowknife. Please visit Arsenic in Lake Water Around Yellowknife for the most up-to-date information.

Help us collect fish samples to support arsenic research 

A human health risk assessment (HHRA) is currently being carried out for areas that are offsite but near to the former Giant Mine, primarily to the west and northwest of the mine site, and other areas that have been impacted by historical mining. An analysis of available data as part of the HHRA found there was limited information on fish from inland lakes around Yellowknife. A voluntary community fish sampling program will help to address this data gap.

To help with the study, we are looking for fish samples from the following lakes*:

  • Walsh
  • Banting
  • Prosperous
  • Prelude
  • River
  • Pontoon
  • Landing
  • Madeline
  • Ryan

*If there other additional lakes used for fishing, the program will also accept those samples from local residents. We are not currently looking for fish from Great Slave Lake.

Information on how to collect and return samples can be found here.

Samples will be collected until July 16, 2018.

Need more information?

For more information regarding daily catch and possesion limits, or any questions about fishing regulations: