Trappers Grubstake Program
In this section
The Trapper’s Grubstake Program, part of the Genuine Mackenzie Valley Fur Program, is designed to provide support and offset some of the start-up costs required at the beginning of the season.
- Individuals who hold a valid Northwest Territories (NWT) General Hunting Licence, Special Trapping License, and/or beneficiaries of NWT land claims, who are residents in the NWT are eligible for benefits under the Genuine Mackenzie Valley Fur Program.
- All NWT trappers are eligible as long as they meet the minimum requirement of 20 pelts in sellable condition. The number of pelts determines the amount given. The dollar amount varies from $100 to $2000.
- The amount given to you is determined by your previous year’s pelt numbers. Unsellable furs are not accepted. The amount available to an individual trapper ranges from $100 to $2000.
- For example, the minimum requirement is 20 pelts and every pelt after 20 is worth $5. The maximum amount of pelts that can be given is 400 which makes the maximum amount to be received is $2000.
- Furs must be good quality.
- You must have registered with Environment and Natural Resources the previous season.
- Visit your local Environment and Natural Resources office to determine the amount you are eligible for.
Good Quality Fur
- Prime and clean
- Good dense fur coverage
- Well-handled, boarded clean leather and minor scars
- Bear, wolf, and wolverine must have claws, pads, intact and lips, eyes, and ears prepared to taxidermy standards
Poor Quality Fur
- Not prime, rubbed
- Flat fur, poor coverage
- Poorly handled and/or over stretched
- Stained fur (greasy) and leather stale (yellowed) or green leather