Prime Fur Bonus Program
In this section
The Prime Fur Bonus Program, part of the Genuine Mackenzie Valley Fur Program, provides an incentive to deliver high quality well-handled pelts for sale. A Prime Fur Bonus is paid to trappers following successful market performance. If a trapper’s fur sells for an amount equal to or greater than the guaranteed advance received, the trapper may be entitled to receive a Prime Fur Bonus payment. It provides an incentive to deliver high quality, well-handled pelts.
- Individuals who hold a valid Northwest Territories (NWT) General Hunting License, Special Trapping License, and/or are beneficiaries of NWT land claims, who are residents in the NWT, are eligible for benefits under the Prime Fur Bonus program.
- Bring your furs to your local Environmental and Natural Resources (ENR) office.
- Register in the ENR database.
- If the furs sell at auction for either equal to or more than the guaranteed advance, you may be eligible for a Prime Fur bonus. A cheque will then be sent in the mail.
- The amount is pre-determined by anticipated market performance for each of the accepted furs.
Good Quality Fur
- Prime and clean
- Good dense fur coverage
- Well-handled, boarded clean leather and minor scars
- Bear, wolf, and wolverine must have claws, pads, intact and lips, eyes, and ears prepared to taxidermy standards
Poor Quality Fur
- Not prime, rubbed
- Flat fur, poor coverage
- Poorly handled and/or over stretched
- Stained fur (greasy) and leather stale (yellowed) or green leather