In this section:
We want to hear from you on the Draft Boreal Caribou Range Planning Framework.
Review these documents:
- Boreal Caribou Range Planning Framework - Discussion Document
- Boreal Caribou Range Planning Framework - Appendices
- Range Planning Framework Fact Sheet
- Range Planning Framework Plain Language Summary
If you would like to submit comments, please provide them in writing (with rationale and/or recommended changes) by the extended deadline of December 21, 2018. Please use this Comment Table to submit your comments.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail: Government of the Northwest Territories
c/o James Hodson, Wildlife Biologist
Wildlife Division, Environment and Natural Resources
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife, NT, X1A 2L9
Thank you for your interest in caribou management in the NWT. We look forward to hearing from you!
The GNWT is seeking public input to help develop an NWT Range Planning Framework for boreal caribou – a threatened species under the federal and territorial Species at Risk Acts.
External factors such as habitat disturbance from industrial development and forest fires can negatively impact the health and survival of boreal caribou populations. Range planning is necessary to ensure at least 65 per cent of the NWT range is maintained as undisturbed habitat.
Providing input will help develop the Framework - a guide for developing individual regional range plans that will manage natural and human habitat disturbance for boreal caribou in the Northwest Territories.
- NWT Species At Risk
- Status Report and Assessment of Boreal Caribou in the NWT (2012)
- Recovery Strategy for the Boreal Caribou in the NWT (2017)
- Consensus Agreement on Implementing the NWT Boreal Caribou Recovery Strategy (2017)
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources – boreal caribou
- Boreal Caribou – Species at Risk Profile
- Recovery Strategy for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal population, in Canada [Full Document]
- Scientific Assessment to Inform the Identification of Critical Habitat for Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada: 2011 update
- Report on the Progress of Recovery Strategy Implementation for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal population in Canada for the Period 2012 to 2017
- Action Plan for the Woodland Caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), Boreal Population, in Canada: Federal Actions (2018)
- Range Plan Guidance for Woodland Caribou, Boreal Population (2016)
- Policy on Critical Habitat Protection on Non-federal Lands [Proposed] (2016)
- Engagement and Consultation Period – April – September 2018
- Final Range Planning Framework – December 2018
- Develop Regional Range Plans – 2019-2022