The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) staff made a visit to K’alemi Dene School in N’dilo on October 24th to celebrate Bat Week 2018.
Students from Grades 1 to 3 had been working on their October unit on bats and were excited to learn more from ENR bat experts. Topics of the presentation included:
- Types of bat habitats including roosts, caves and bat houses
- Bat skeletons and their wings’ similarities to the human hand
- NWT bats species and the different sizes of bats from 30 mm long to having a two-meter wingspan
- How bats are an NWT Species at Risk and what that designation means
- How some bats are sick with white nose syndrome, a disease affecting bats in southern North America that is a threat to the North
The students also had a chance to do some exciting bat activities including making bats using their hand prints. See photo above.
To learn more about bats in the NWT, visit: https://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/en/services/bats