In this section
Public boards play an important role, from providing advice to government to managing public programs. In order for the public boards to fulfill their mandate, they must be made up of members who are qualified for the position and are committed to undertake the work of the board.
Natural resource management in the Northwest Territories is an integrated system composed of land use planning, environmental impact assessment, regulatory approvals and cumulative impact monitoring. Natural resource management and advisory boards are an integral part of this system.
Land resource and self-government agreements, the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA) and the Waters Act (WA) require the participation of federal and territorial governments, and Indigenous governments and organizations on boards. The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) nominates or appoints 27 members and alternate members to these boards. The Department of Lands and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources share responsibility for these board processes.
The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is responsible for making nominations or appointments to a variety of public committees, boards and councils. These public boards have been created through legislation, intergovernmental agreements, or government policy. Appointments are made by Cabinet, the Commissioner in Executive Council or the responsible Minister(s).
The GNWT invites expressions of interest from suitably qualified individuals interested in being appointed to a public board.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources seeks expression of interest from people interested in being considered for membership on the following Boards. Information about each board is below, including function, time and travel requirements, membership and more.
- Inuvialuit Water Board
- Gwich'in Land and Water Board
- Gwich'in Renewable Resources Board
- Sahtu Land and Water Board
- Sahtu Renewable Resources Board
- Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board
- Wek'eezhii Land and Water Board
- Wek'eezhii Renewable Resources Board
- Tuktut Nogait National Park Management Board
- Independent Environmental Monitoring Agency Board
- Environmental Monitoring Advisory Board
- NWT Environmental Studies Research Fund Management Board
- Thaidene Nëné Territorial Protected Area Management Board
- Ts’udé Nilįné Tuyeta Territorial Protected Area Management Board
Fill out the application form and submit along with your resume via email or mail.
Mail: Board Appointments
Department of Environment and Natural Resources
Government of the Northwest Territories
PO Box 1320