Natural Resource Management Boards

What are NWT public boards?

Public boards play an important role, from providing advice to government to managing public programs. In order for the public boards to fulfill their mandate, they must be made up of members who are qualified for the position and are committed to undertake the work of the board.

How do boards help with resource management in the NWT?

Natural resource management in the Northwest Territories is an integrated system composed of land use planning, environmental impact assessment, regulatory approvals and cumulative impact monitoring. Natural resource management and advisory boards are an integral part of this system.

Land resource and self-government agreements, the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA) and the Waters Act (WA) require the participation of federal and territorial governments, and Indigenous governments and organizations on boards. The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) nominates or appoints 27 members and alternate members to these boards. The Department of Lands and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources share responsibility for these board processes.

What role does the GNWT have in public boards?

The Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) is responsible for making nominations or appointments to a variety of public committees, boards and councils. These public boards have been created through legislation, intergovernmental agreements, or government policy. Appointments are made by Cabinet, the Commissioner in Executive Council or the responsible Minister(s).

The GNWT invites expressions of interest from suitably qualified individuals interested in being appointed to a public board.

What boards can I apply to through the Department of Environment and Natural Resources?

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources seeks expression of interest from people interested in being considered for membership on the following Boards. Information about each board is below, including function, time and travel requirements, membership and more.

How do I apply?

Fill out the application form and submit along with your resume via email or mail.


Mail: Board Appointments 
         Department of Environment and Natural Resources 
         Government of the Northwest Territories
         PO Box 1320