Search Google Appliance

Menu Search
Hunting licence

Buying a hunting licence

A hunting licence is required by NWT residents to hunt small game and a wildlife tag(s) to hunt big game. An NWT resident is a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant who has been living in the NWT for at least 12 continuous months.

Non-residents, Canadian citizens or landed immigrants who live outside the NWT, and non-resident aliens, people who live outside of the NWT and Canada, need an outfitter to hunt big game. No outfitter is required for hunting small game. Outfitters provide licenced guides for the hunters they serve. Addresses of outfitters can be obtained from the NWT Tourism Association.

Wildlife tags are issued for each species. The tags are part of your licence and must be attached to the animal immediately after the kill. Your hunting licence and wildlife tags must be carried with you when hunting. Licences and tags may be purchased from most ENR offices in the NWT. In Yellowknife and some of the larger communities, licences and tags may also be purchased from vendors.

Resident hunters with a tag to hunt wood bison in Unit U (Slave River Lowlands herd) must complete a Resident Hunter Mandatory Bison Hunt Report Form. Hunter information provided in the report helps improve wildlife management.

Big game licences and tags for big game species hunted by non-residents and non-resident aliens may only be purchased at ENR Offices.

A licence is not valid until signed by the person who purchased it. A licence is not transferable.