2030 NWT Climate Change Strategic Framework
In this section
Through implementation of the 2030 NWT Climate Change Strategic Framework, the GNWT will address the concerns and interest of NWT residents by providing the GNWT with a long-term comprehensive and coordinated response to climate change, outlined in three goals:
- Transition to a strong, healthy economy that uses less fossil fuel, thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 30% below 2005 levels by 2030.
- Increasing understanding of climate change impacts occurring in the NWT
- Building resilience and adapting to a changing climate
A draft Climate Change Strategic Framework was released by the GNWT for external comment during December 2016 and January 2017. Numerous comments were submitted by Indigenous governments, community organizations, industry, non-government organizations and the public, covering many themes and topics pertaining to climate change. This valuable input informed the final 2030 NWT Climate Change Strategic Framework. A broad summary of comments received, and what the GNWT did to address comments, is outlined under eight themes in What we heard: Summary of external review period.
The 2030 NWT Climate Change Strategic Framework will be tabled in the Legislative Assembly in the spring of 2018. A five-year Action Plan (2019-2023) to implement the 2030 NWT Climate Change Strategic Framework is under development.
The GNWT engaged with NWT residents, stakeholders and interested parties on the Climate Change Strategic Framework in 2016/17.
Engagement involved a series of regional invitational community workshops, public information sessions and written submissions.
Workshop Summary Reports
- Inuvik Workshop Summary Report
- Norman Wells Workshop Summary Report
- Fort Smith Workshop Summary Report
- Yellowknife Workshop Summary Report
- Fort Simpson Workshop Summary Report
- Hay River Workshop Summary Report